6th Global Conference on Violence Against Women | CTICC, South Africa | 21-25 October 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

Abstract Information

What is an abstract?

An abstract is short but powerful statement that succinctly describes a research project, policy or programme. It should contain the scope, purpose, results and contents of the work, and is an original summary of the larger report. It provides reviewers with enough information to evaluate quality, interest and innovation i.e. why is the research important; what problem does it address; methods used; results and implications for the field and key words.

When is the submission deadline for abstracts?
How will I know if you have received my abstract?

We will promptly acknowledge the receipt of your abstract. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within one week, please send an email to Svri.Forums@mrc.ac.za so we can verify if your submission has been received.

My project is still ongoing and there are no results yet, should I still submit an abstract?

If the study is in the beginning phase you are advised not to submit, however, if your study is currently ongoing and you only have preliminary data, but it seems relevant or significant, please submit the abstract.

How do I submit an abstract?

Please submit your abstract for an oral or scientific pitch (poster) presentation electronically before the 25 January 2019 by following the abstract submission guidance and instructions on SVRI Forum 2019 website.

Once the abstract has been submitted, can I still modify it?

After an abstract has been submitted, no modifications can be made. You welcome to notify Mandy Salomo (mandy.salomo@mrc.ac.za) if modifications will be required to a specific abstract. No modifications will be accepted after the submission deadline.

Who selects the abstracts and decides how they will be presented?

All submissions will be anonymously reviewed by the abstract review committee. Each abstract is submitted for peer review by members of the abstract review committee. Each abstract is anonymously adjudicated by at least two members of the committee.

When will I be notified if my abstract has been selected for a poster or oral presentation?

Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent to the submitting author by mid-July 2019.

Registration

How can I register to attend the SVRI Forum 2019?

Registrations will only open the 2 December 2018. You will enter the Event system with your profile credentials and then click on registration. Registrations can be paid via your credit card or via bank transfer (once paid, confirmation of bank transfer payments would need to be sent to Mandy Salomo (mandy.salomo@mrc.ac.za) who will then confirm your registration.

What does my registration to SVRI Forum 2019 include?

The registration to SVRI Forum 2019 includes entry to all main conference sessions from 22-24 October 2019, teas and lunches for the duration of the conference, exhibition viewing and conference materials. For more information, click here. Registration for pre-conference workshops are at an additional cost. Please click here for information on pre-conference workshops.

I have registered for the conference but haven’t paid yet. Am I confirmed to attend?

No, your attendance is not confirmed until payment has been received in full.

How can I register as a group?

A 10% discount will be given to a group registration of 10 or more delegates from the same organisation (should they register before 1 June 2019). All names must be submitted at the same time.

Do presenters/chairs have to pay registration?

Yes

Can I pay registration onsite?

We strongly suggest that you register ahead of time as space is limited. Our ability to offer onsite registration is fully dependent on capacity.

How do I request a refund?

Cancellations must be sent in writing to Mandy Salomo, a member of the events management team: mandy.salomo@mrc.ac.za.

Cancellations received before 30 September 2019 will qualify for a refund less 25% to cover administration costs.  Refunds and cancellations received after 30 September 2019 will be made in exceptional circumstances.

The payment for refunds will be processed 30 days after the last day of the conference.

General questions

Do I have to be an SVRI member in order to participate in the Forum?

No, you don't have to be an SVRI member to participate in the Forum. We would however welcome your membership. Please register to join the SVRI by emailing us at svri@mrc.ac.za

What languages will be included in the Forum?

All the SVRI Forum sessions will be in English. Provision of translation at the event will be dependent of the availability of funding.

How much does it cost to use the Exhibition space?

Exhibition space is available at a cost of R25 000. The cost includes: 3 x 2 Stands, 2 delegates per stand, teas and lunch for the duration of the conference, and a conference pack.
View more information on the exhibition page or contact Robert Ganesh at Robert.Ganesh@mrc.ac.za

Do I need a visa to enter South Africa?

All delegates travelling to South Africa must present valid travel document such as a passport or identify card. South African visa requirements vary from country to country, we urge you to contact the nearest South African embassy as soon as possible to determine if you need a visa, and how and when the application should be done.

For more information, visit Department of Home Affairs website and the Visa Information page of the SVRI Forum 2019 for the travel information.

How do I get a letter for my visa application?

Click here to obtain a letter to assist you with your visa application. The letter does not financially or otherwise obligate the conference organisers in any way. All expenses incurred in relation to the conference and immigration requirements are your sole responsibility.

For tailored visa letters please email Mandy Salomo (mandy.salomo@mrc.ac.za).

I have a question that’s not listed here, who can I contact?

You can email your questions to Svri.Forums@mrc.ac.za , we will respond as soon as we can.

Bursaries

What is the criteria for the bursaries?

A very small number of bursaries are available.  Bursaries will most likely only be awarded to individuals who have submitted an abstract that has been accepted for presentation at the Forum, or are linked to a project specific bursary. Priority will be given to applicants from low and middle income countries. More information will be made available via the Forum bursary link and SVRI Update early 2019.

I have been awarded a bursary but received other funding, how can I release the bursary so that it will be allocated to someone else?

Please send an email to Svri.Forums@mrc.ac.za with the subject “Declining bursary” so that we can allocate the bursary to others who may not have funding.