Get involved by donating four days as a volunteer
We encourage you to apply early!
Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
SVRI Forum, 21 – 25 October 2019
SVRI Forum is one of the world’s premier research conferences on violence against women, violence against children and other forms of violence driven by gender inequality in low and middle-income countries. SVRI Forum is where researchers, policy-makers, funders and practitioners come together to design solutions for ending violence against women and girls. We are expecting between 500 – 600 delegates to attend SVRI Forum 2019.
Applications for volunteers now closed.
There are a limited number of volunteer opportunities and first choice volunteer days or positions are not guaranteed. Available volunteer positions are allocated once the online application is completed (including reference verification).
Volunteers must meet at least one or more of the following eligibility criteria and must be 21 years of age or older:
Enrolled as either a full-time or part-time student at an accredited institution of higher learning, as either a graduate or undergraduate.
Currently working as an intern, either paid or volunteer, for a fixed term
Preference will be given to applicants with a background in the field of gender-based violence
Food and beverage will be provided during hours of service ie morning, afternoon tea and lunch.
All volunteers will be given a volunteer shirt to wear for the duration of the event
Each volunteer will have access to the Welcome Reception and Dinner
What does a volunteer position involve?
Some of things you may be required to do at SVRI Forum:
Registration: Registration volunteers are responsible for welcoming attendees and distributing registration materials. Attendees will expect you to have the answer to everything, so you will need to familiarise yourself with the conference schedules, the conference mobile app, room locations, etc.
Presenter / Presentations: Presenter / Presentations volunteers are responsible for ensuring all presenters are in attendance for a particular session and all presentations are uploaded. That the session room is ready to roll at the allocated time.
Hospitality: Hospitality volunteers need to be very familiar with the conference schedule; special events, restaurants, and other items that you believe will contribute to an overall positive conference experience including information about the conference for first-time attendees.
Exhibit Hall and Traffic Direction: Exhibit Hall and Traffic Direction Volunteer volunteers are responsible for checking in and assisting exhibitors and encouraging participants to visit the Hall. As well as being responsible for giving directions to conference attendees at posts throughout the conference facility. Attendees will expect you to have the answer to everything, so you must familiarise yourself with the conference schedules, the conference mobile app, room locations, etc.
- Twitter - Volunteers must be experienced "Tweeters" who are knowledgeable about tweeting protocol and Twitter best practices (use of hash tags, re-tweeting and attribution, etc.).
- Blogs: Volunteers may also be asked to write summaries of the sessions they attend and submit blogs to SVRI staff for uploading onto SVRI and SVRI Forum webpages on a daily basis.
- Photographs and Videos – volunteers will also be required to upload pictures and videos on the conference app.
- Volunteers will not be tweeting and sharing on social media as official representatives of SVRI Forum but will coordinate with SVRI staff to ensure consistency of message.
SVRI Forum Mobile App: A volunteer especially interested and experienced in all things social media may be asked to manage the SVRI Mobile App in partnership with Morma Moremi, SVRI.
Volunteers must be on site for the duration of the conference. You may be required to act in more than one role throughout the duration of the conference.
- All applicants must complete the online form
- All applications will go through a screening process. In this process your credentials will be verified, including contact with your employer/reference.
- All applications must be enrolled in an accredited higher education institution and all applications must include two references. (An academic reference, i.e. a professor or advisor)
- All applicants must be at least 21 years of age to participate in the program. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Volunteer positions require working on Sunday, 20 October 2019
- Often, a volunteer positions require long hours of standing.
- Volunteer positions require the ability to communicate verbally with attendees.
- Volunteer positions require the ability to listen effectively to attendees to answer their questions.
- All applications will be evaluated against the criteria outlined above, and on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Only accepted applicants will be notified.
- Accepted applicants will be notified via email at the email address provided on your volunteer application.
- Accepted applicants will be notified via email beginning May 2019 if your application has been accepted.
SVRI Forum 2019 - Orientation
All accepted volunteers must attend an orientation prior to the start of Forum. The date, time and location of the orientation will be announced.
NOTE: Volunteer orientation is MANDATORY, details regarding volunteer assignments will be provided. Eligible volunteers who do not attend an orientation will not be allowed to participate as a volunteer. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
Volunteers must be able to cover their travel (flights, accommodation & transport) to and from the Forum and daily meal expenses (with the exception of complimentary days ie 22,23 &24 October 2019).
If an unforeseen circumstance arises and you need to cancel your volunteer commitment, please email Mandy Salomo by no later than 1 June 2019. This will ensure adequate time to find a replacement and will keep us from turning away potential volunteers.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact Mandy at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are grateful for your willingness to volunteer at SVRI Forum 2019.