The SVRI is the world’s largest network on research on violence against women and violence against children, providing a space where global role players in the field connect with one another, share and promote their research, work to influence policies and improve the lives of those who have experienced gender-based violence. We do this through funding research, strengthening research capacity, promoting partnerships and influencing change. The biennial SVRI Forum enables networking and collaboration to take place, being the face of SVRI, and in the eyes of many, irreplaceable. SVRI Strategic Plan 2020-2024.
What Guides our Work?
The work of the SVRI is guided by the SVRI Leadership Council, a group of experts from different disciplines, networks of organisations on VAW and VAC, and global regions. In addition to this expert guidance, the work of the SVRI is framed by the Sexual Violence Research Agenda. The Sexual Violence Research Agenda identifies focus areas for research, within which 6 broad priority areas are outlined. These are:
Priority Area 1: Nature, Prevalence, Social Context and Risk Factors Associated with Sexual Violence
Priority Area 2: Sexual Violence Prevention
Priority Area 3: Appropriateness and Effectiveness of Sexual Violence Services
Priority Area 4: Childhood Sexual Abuse
Priority Area 5: Sexual Violence in Conflict and Emergency Settings
Priority Area 6: HIV and Sexual Violence
Principles for SVRI Projects
All projects implemented or supported by the SVRI should:
- Adhere to international safety and ethical guidelines
- Focus on low and middle income-settings
- Be conceptualized within a human rights framework
- Strive to be cross-sectoral and multi-disciplinary;
- Where relevant and appropriate endeavour to engage the community that is being researched;
- Challenge the gender hierarchy that contributes to sexual violence in order to promote gender equality.
- Inform policy, programs and services and serve to strengthen access to comprehensive care and support for survivors
For more information on our history, team, partners and networks, click on the links below.